View this feature story submitted by the Division highlighting Alexander First Nation's involvement in the St. Kateri Tekakwitha Academy Sod Turning.
The First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Leadership Committee was approved by the Board of Trustees on October 17, 2016 to provide governance-level guidance on how to share information and communication with parents and external agencies about the First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Advisory Committee’s work and recommendations.
With the release of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Calls to Action (2015), guidance on efforts to honour cultural strengths in a changing world is the logical next step to the ongoing work of the advisory committee. The leadership committee members are working together to develop relationships with indigenous leaders in our local communities with the goal of eliminating the achievement gap between First Nations, Métis, and Inuit students and all other students within our division.
We invite you visit our Blog regularly to view new posts from our school communities.
Members on the Committee:
- Joan Crockett
- Noreen Radford
- Cathy Proulx
- Dr. C. Moroziuk, Superintendent of Schools
- Dr. R. Nixon, Assistant Superintendent
- R. Zacharias, Manager - Community Engagement and Communications
- Y. Stang, Literacy Consultant
- C. Loiselle, Religious Education Consultant
Alexander First Nation:
- Edna Arcand, Elder
- Jody Kootney, Director of Education
- Verna Arcand, Assistant Director
Star of the North:
- Archbishop Emeritus Sylvain Lavoie, Spiritual Director, Star of the North
Community at Large:
- Lisa Cruickshank, Associate Director Education (Rupertsland Institute)
- Phyllis Kelly, Chair (Diversity, Equity, and Human Resources Committee)
- Gary Gagnon, Cultural Instructor (Edmonton Catholic)
- Billie-Jo Grant (K-12 Métis Curriculum & Resource Development, Rupertsland Institute)